Friday, December 12, 2008

MoTab Christmas Concert!

Last night, my wife and I had the opportunity to attend the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert. This is probably one of my favorite Christmas traditions, and for us always marks the traditional beginning of the Christmas season.


The theme of the concert was "Ring Christmas Bells," with many of the musical numbers featuring the bell choirs from Davis, Fremont, Jordan, Murray, and Riverton High Schools. The special guests were Brian Stokes Mitchell, who has been in more Broadway productions and received more awards than honestly anyone else I can name, and Edward K Herrman, who is well known for his portrayal of FDR in "Eleanor and Franklin" and more recently as Richard Gilmore on CW's "The Gilmore Girls."

The concert featured many, many un-traditional Christmas songs, some of which weren't even really Christmas songs. One thing I immediately picked up on was how prominent Brian Stokes Mitchell was in this concert - largely featured in about two-thirds of the overall performance. At many times I felt like I was at a Brian Stokes Mitchell concert with the Choir in the background.

It should be noted that this was not a bad thing! Mitchell has a powerful, amazing voice that completely blew me away. He was absolutely fantastic in all aspects. My favorite peices of his work that evening were two songs: "Through Heaven's Eyes" from The Prince of Egypt and "New Words."

A trend I've noticed in recent years is that the Choir will do a peice centered around a story from history. This year the story was told from the Civil War, and a man named Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It was during this timultuous period in our nation's history that he wrote four stanzas of a poem which would later become the Christmas song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." Edward K Herrmann narrated the story, and did a fantastic job. He has a really awesome story-telling voice.

Overall, I felt the concert was one of the best in recent years, mostly because so much new material was performed. It didn't feel like the same old rehashed Christmas concert, something unique and wonderful to experience! I hope the Choir keeps this up in the coming years ahead.


Here's a shot from the final song, "Angels from the Realms of Glory" - my favorite Choir Christmas song ever! Sweet, sweet forbidden pictures!

1 comment:

Janet Walgren said...

Nice photo Dillon:)

And, I'm totally jealous that you always get to go to the concert.

Love you!