Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Christmas Sweater


Tonight my wife and I attended the Fathom Events showing of Glenn Beck's "The Christmas Sweater" which is based on the book by the same name (obviously)

The story focuses on a 12 year old boy named Eddie and a Christmas where what he wanted more than anything else in the world was a bike. His mother, like many others, was in a difficult financial position and was only able to make a handmade sweater for his only gift. Its not until his mother dies in a horrible car accident driving home from their grandparents that Christmas night that the story truly begins.

What follows is a story of anger, guilt, sorrow and sadness... whereby Eddie learns the true meaning of Christmas. In the end, this story is really about the storms that all of us face in life, and about finding the courage to push through the storm and keep on living.

The stage show production was excellent. Glenn provided the narration and acting, and was accompanied by an orchestra and gospel singer. I really thought it was a great story... even though the first act was really quite sad. My wife's only complaint was the gospel rendition of "God be with You til we Meet Again" as she was under the impression that it was a "Mormon song" - whatever that means - and shouldn't have been sung the way it was. Even after I reminded my wife that it was actually a Christian song, she still objected to it.

What can I say... my wife is a dirty racist. I myself had a great time, and I'm convinced that these Fathom Events are totally the way to go if you want to see a play or stage show. Tickets are a lot cheaper and you get a much, MUCH better view than you would from any seat in the theater its being performed in.

No comments: