Saturday, December 13, 2008

iPhone Playtime

As you may remember from my earlier posts, my iPhone really doesn't take the best pictures in low-light or indoor situations. About a week ago, I had read a few snippets online about some apps which greatly improve the functionality of the iPhone camera and allow it to take some semi decent shots. Keep in mind, its only a 2 megapixel camera so the results can only get so good.

The first app I downloaded is called SteadyCam. This program allows you to take better shots in low light or indoor situations by using the built in motion detection sensors in the phone. You press the shutter button, then as soon as the phone detects that the camera is steady it takes the pic. Helpful for people like me who inadvertantly shake the camera when pressing the picture button. This program was free and it actually works pretty well.

The second program is Camera Bag. This program allows you to take pictures using 12 different picture lens effects - ranging from black and white to a grainy 1970s camera to some more modern effects. I really like this program a lot as it allows you to do some really creative things with pictures you're taking right at that moment. Here's a couple pictures I took using a black and white effect, and then a 1930s camera grain:



The final app I downloaded is PhotoLab which allows you to do a lot of creative, on the fly photo editing before you email your pictures off. I'm not sure how extensively I will use this app, as I can do all of these things using Photoshop, but its great for times I won't have access to my computer and need to do some base photo editing. I took a few before and after shots of my beloved Alessandra and a Mountain Dew can to show off some effects. I uploaded these directly from the camera 'photo roll.'

Sadly I did not get to take this picture in person

This is using the stencil effect


This is the dramatic black and white effect

All hail the Dew!

The pencil with color effect, which produces cool results

No comments: