Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pat's Barbecue

So tonight we were in the mood for the unknown. Well, I should say for the slightly unknown... we knew we wanted barbecue but we didn't know where - and oddly enough its hard to find really good barbecue in Utah. Perhaps our standards are just too high?

After doing some digging for a hidden restaurant gem, Kerry and I stumbled across Pat's Barbecue just off of 21st South. If you're thinking to yourself, "This place looks like a total hole in the wall," well that's because it is. This restaurant has been open almost as long as I have been alive, yet I never knew it even existed.

I got what they call the Three Meat Combo, a dish that would surely make any animal rights activist weep huge giant tears. It came in at $13 and was easily... EASILY... two or three total pounds of meat plus a side dish of your choice. This was true Southern Style barbecue, in that the meat is cooked pure with no sauces and very little seasoning. You then apply your sauce after its completely done.

The sauces come in two varieties, mild and hot. The mild is really quite good. The hot has enough kick to knock you off of your seat but still very full of flavor. I was incredibly impressed with the overall quality of the meal... especially given the restaurant's appearance. But as Kerry reminded me, most hole-in-the-wall restaurants are some of the best food you will find. I'm definitely going back to this place!

I also came across this gem in the hallway. I'm trying to convince Heidi to let me get one for the computer room.

This is what Johnny Cash thinks of YOUR weak-ass barbecue! Awww yeeeeah!

1 comment:

Janet Walgren said...

Heidi said "Yes!" IF she can have the painting you don't like but she does like hanging up in the dining room on the brown wall:)

Tough compromise:(