Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Life's Curve Balls

I've been having a difficult time dealing with everything that's transpired in the last 7 hours. I feel compelled to write something but I'm not really sure what I should write or what really feels appropriate right now... except that life really comes at you hardcore sometimes.

For those I haven't told yet, my father called me this afternoon and informed me that he has been diagnosed with cancer. He was on his way to the hospital for some additional tests and I haven't really heard anything since then. For now I will need to be content to wait and try to deal with this revelation as best I can.

It seems odd that before this, my biggest concerns were if I was going to arrive early enough at Glenn Beck's comedy show tomorrow night to get a good seat, or if Mike was going to be able to make it to The Dark Knight on Friday. I'd been laughing at the newest Charlie the Unicorn video on YouTube and silently cursing the elderly woman who couldn't remember whether or not she'd made a $300 purchase at Rite-Aid 20 minutes before I called.

Right now all of these concerns seem so trivial and pointless. It should be good enough that I'm even getting to attend Glenn Beck's show tomorrow, and that on Friday I'll be able to enjoy some good times with my friends. My personal health should be getting more attention than Charlie the Unicorn II. I should be more patient with the 90 year old woman who has problems with her short term memory.

Just some of the many things I've thought about today while I wait for more info... its weird what all goes through your head while you contemplate these things.

In somewhat related news, this weekend is looking to be full of fun and excitement - which is probably what I need. Tomorrow night I'll be attending Beck '08: Unelectable with my wife. I've heard really good things about this comedy tour and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to take my first attempt at some semi-live blogging with my new iPhone... so we'll see how that goes.

Friday night I'll be heading out with the guys to The Dark Knight. It should be a good time all around. I really enjoyed the new, darker tone of Batman Begins, and I've heard this next installment carries on that tradition in grand fashion. So far, its gotten pretty outstanding reviews. I hope it lives up to the hype!

1 comment:

Janet Walgren said...

Dillon, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I do hope that he gets better. There are so many modern medical miracles nowadays.

Grandpa had the same cancer several years ago, but surgery made him better and as you know he is 86 and doing just fine.

It is a good reminder though how fragile and unpredictable life is and how important it is to focus on eternity instead of just today because we never know when our last day will be.

Love you

Janet