Friday, July 25, 2008

MoTab and the Osmonds

Tonight was probably one of the most weird, interesting mixes of musical performance I've ever seen at the Conference Center. The Tabernacle Choir and the Osmonds had a joint performance for the Pioneer Day celebration.

Let's get one important fact out of the way... my iPhone takes hella crap pictures in any situation involving reduced lighting, so I apologize for the poor picture quality. Note to Apple: Yes, I would still be willing to buy your phone if you had tacked on another $40 to the purchase price for a few extra camera features. Now, time for some sweet, sweet forbidden pictures. (ADD moment: I'm not entirely sure if this is indeed forbidden pictures, since they only asked for no FLASH photography, and my iPhone clearly has no flash.)

Now, since my dad is in the choir I have had many opportunities to be to various MoTab performances. And I must say, this is by far the worst I have ever been to. In fact its probably the only concert I'd place in terms of "worst" - most of the time I compare the concerts in factors of how much "better" one is over the others. It is, however, also the first concert I've been to since Mack Wilberg was named the successor to Craig Jessop. I am hopeful that this is not a sign of things to come.

(No, this is not a picture from my camera, its a snapshot from the broadcast pulled from a DVR)

Not that I'm saying the performance was trash. It was very well done, but I found the song selection by the Choir to be somewhat... lacking. All of the songs performed by the Osmonds were energetic or fast paced, yet every time the Choir stepped up to the plate the songs were slow, quiet, and came off very bland. I also was a little down that this performance contained exactly zero new musical content from the Choir. I felt like they had fallen back on many of their older peices for some reason... perhaps to play it safe or to not take too much spotlight from the Osmonds. Whatever the reason, I think it backfired on them.

Never the less, I did enjoy myself and it was a great evening Downtown. I also got a great picture of the temple on my way out on this beautiful July evening.

No comments: