Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Army of Volunteers


One of the neat things about where I work, is that as a community bank our company puts tremendous time and resources back into the areas in which we live and work every single day. This year has been no different. So far we've had a rather successful United Way drive, multiple charities to which have been donated tens of thousands of dollars, and this week has been the Zions Bank Paint-a-Thon.

To be honest, I kind of came into this at the last minute. My good friend Mike spearheaded the effort for our department. My schedule has been rather tight this week, so I was only able to help out today. I feel a little guilty that many of my coworkers put forth monstrous amounts of effort prior to today. My duties today consisted of painting the shutters, touching up the trim, and talking to the homeowner about when she could start watering her lawn and such again. All in all, I think I was there for about 2 hours.

Here's the finished product. Check out those HOT shutters!

I'm not particularly hot on the color scheme, but Mike assures me that fry-sauce beige is what the homeowner wanted. Apparently the original color was a grayish blue, which personally I think would look a lot better, but its not my house. My heart really goes out to the Zions Bank employees in St. George who worked on similar projects today... as temperatures soared over 100 degrees for most of the day.

Even the small contributions help, or that's what I was told anyways. Honestly I feel better just from showing up today! It was a great experience to help someone I don't even know.

No comments: